Connect with us

Entertainment

Steve Buscemi Hospitalized Following Brutal Attack On The Streets Of New York City

Published

on

Steve Buscemi, best known for starring in HBO’s Boardwalk Empire, was hospitalized following a random assault in New York City.

According to The New York Times, the brutal incident took place around 11:48AM in Manhattan on Wednesday (May 8). 

The publication reports that the 66-year-old star was walking near the corner of Third Avenue and East 27th Street in the Kips Bay neighborhood when the assailant – a stranger – punched him.

Buscemi suffered swelling to his face and left eye and was taken to Bellevue Hospital for treatment, authorities disclosed.

A suspect struck the Boardwalk Empire star in a broad-daylight attack. Credit: John Nacion / Getty

The police did not reveal Buscemi as the victim, but his publicist issued a statement on Sunday (May 12) confirming that the Fargo actor was the man who had been attacked.

“Steve Buscemi was assaulted in Mid-Town Manhattan, another victim of a random act of violence in the city,” Buscemi’s publicist said, per the outlet.

“He is ok and appreciates everyone’s well wishes, though incredibly sad for everyone that this has happened to while also walking the streets of New York,” they added.

The actor has a career spanning four decades and is best known for his roles in HBO series Boardwalk Empire and films including Fargo. Credit: Kevin Mazur / Getty

A worker who witnessed the assault spoke to The New York Post, and said: “I saw he was with a woman, and then through the corner of the window I saw him trip and fall backwards.

“He right away got up and ran in the opposite direction. I didn’t see who hit him,” they continued. “It worries me for when we close because we close at 11 and it can get scary around that time,” the woman, who asked to be identified only as Nat, added.

The NYPD released surveillance pictures of the unnamed attacker, a bearded man sporting a baseball cap, a blue t-shirt, and black sweatpants.

The assault on Buscemi comes after his Boardwalk Empire co-star Michael Stuhlbarg was also attacked at random while out in New York earlier this year.

The 55-year-old, who played gangster Arnold Rothstein on the show, was struck in the back of the neck with a rock while walking in Manhattan’s Central Park on March 31, as reported by The Independent.

Buscemi’s co-star Michael Stuhlbarg (middle) was also attacked in NYC. Credit: Gregg DeGuire / Getty

It was reported that the actor was out for a run near Central Park at this time, and ended up chasing his attacker to the Russian consulate at East 91st Street, where cops stationed outside arrested the assailant. 

Authorities confirmed the following day (Monday, April 1) that the actor suffered minor injuries, and revealed the alleged suspect to be a 27-year-old man named Xavier Israel.

Featured image credit: Noam Galai / Getty
Continue Reading