Connect with us

Horse Racing

Best Horse Racing Betting Sites | Top 5 Racebooks in 2024

Published

on

A popular sporting event that has drawn crowds for centuries, horse racing is a big market among many bettors who want a bigger stake in the action. From local races to bigger events like the Triple Crown, you’re sure to find a market that piques your interest.

You don’t even have to make it out to racetrack to get in on the fun. As this guide shows, you can sign up for the best horse racing betting sites to legally place wagers from the comfort of home. Read more to get out recommendations in addition to tips for signing up, info on upcoming horse races, and more.

More on the Best Horse Racing Betting Sites

Top 5 Betting Sites for Horse Racing

Ready to explore the best horse racing betting sites? Check out our top five picks below.

1. FanDuel Racing

Handicapping Tools (/5) Live Streaming Horse Racing Promos (/5) App Available
5/5 5/5

If you’ve ever used the FanDuel Sportsbook app, you’ll feel right at home when you download its horse racing counterpart. The FanDuel Racing app has the same intuitive interface, a smooth deposit and withdrawal process, and various compatible payment methods to include debit/credit cards, PayPal, and a handy FanDuel Racing Prepaid Card.

Whether you’re a seasoned pro or just learning how to bet on the Kentucky Derby, FanDuel Racing is a solid choice. Download the app today to take advantage of its reliable live streaming feature and tons of racing markets.

2. DRF

Handicapping Tools (/5) Live Streaming Horse Racing Promos (/5) App Available
5/5 5/5

Daily Racing Form (DRF for short) would’ve provided its online horse racing betting platform sooner if it could’ve, as it has specialized in horse racing analysis for 100+ years.

You’re lucky that you live in today’s age as you can use the app to place bets on the Preakness Stakes, Kentucky Derby, Belmont Stakes, and everything in between. It even has markets for the Hong Kong Jockey Club, which can be a nice feature if you’re looking to add international flair to your horse racing wagers.

3. TVG

Handicapping Tools (/5) Live Streaming Horse Racing Promos (/5) App Available
5/5 5/5

Founded in 1999 as the Television Games Network, TVG has become one of the most recognizable names in horse racing over the years. With a 24/7 television channel that is always showing races from around the world, TVG is seemingly always on at least one TV in your favorite sports bar — no matter the time of day.

Powered by FanDuel, TVG is available in various states with a generous TVG signup offer (Note: NJ bettors will need to download 4NJBets — which is the same app, just under a different name).

TVG is one of the best sites to use, with a wide range of different tools to help your horse racing bets. Bettors can look at past performances, read the latest racing news, or see who the experts are picking in the top races. And of course, you can stream TVG from your desktop or mobile phone.

4. TwinSpires

Handicapping Tools (/5) Live Streaming Horse Racing Promos (/5) App Available
4/5 5/5

Named after the iconic Twin Spires at Churchill Downs, the home of the Kentucky Derby, TwinSpires launched its horse racing betting service in 2007. In early 2022, it was announced that TwinSpires would focus solely on horse racing instead of expanding into the ever-growing and ultra-competitive sports betting landscape.

Although named for an iconic Kentucky landmark, TwinSpires is free to download from the App Store and Google Play Store and is available in several states along with a TwinSpires offer code to give your bankroll a headstart.

5. AMWager

Handicapping Tools (/5) Live Streaming Horse Racing Promos (/5) App Available
4/5 5/5

AmWager may not have has recognizable a name as other online horse betting sites, but it is easily one of the best apps to use. It boasts about being faster than any other racing site, and you will immediately notice how quickly the platform operates.

Offering two different handicapping services, bettors new to horse racing can opt for the easy to use guide, whilst their pro handicapping services caters to the more experienced bettors.

The mobile app is available on both iOS and Android, meaning you can wager on the go, or even place your bets while your at the track. Like others, AmWager is connected to the parimutuel wagering pools, meaning you’ll get the same horse racing odds as you will on the track. Sign up with the AmWager promo code today to get started.

Best Upcoming Horse Races

You just downloaded your preferred online horse racing betting site. If you’re wondering what to wager on, here’s a look at some of the best upcoming horse races:

2024 Kentucky Derby


Getty Images

The Kentucky Derby, the most prestigious horse race in the United States, is set to take place on May 4th, 2024. The Run of the Roses will feature some of the most talented horses and jockeys from around the world, competing for a chance to take home the coveted prize.

Leading up to the race, there is much speculation about which horses will be the top contenders. One of the early favorites is Fierceness, who has shown impressive speed and agility in previous races. Another horse to watch is Catching Freedom.

Of course, the Kentucky Derby is not just about the horses. The event also draws a massive crowd of spectators, who come dressed in their finest attire to watch the race and participate in the various festivities surrounding it. From mint juleps to extravagant hats, the Kentucky Derby is a celebration of all things Southern and glamorous. Of course, if you’re not able to attend in person, you can turn to the best Kentucky Derby betting sites.

As the big day approaches, anticipation and excitement will continue to build. Who will emerge as the victor in this iconic race, and which jockey will have the honor of guiding their horse to victory? Only time will tell, but one thing is certain: the 2024 Kentucky Derby is sure to be an unforgettable event.

If you want to get in on the action, check out the Kentucky Derby odds below from TwinSpires (last updated April 22, 2024).

Horse and Post Number Odds
1. Fierceness 3-1
2. Catching Freedom 6-1
3. Forever Young (JPN) 8-1
4. Endlessly N/A
5. Track Phantom 20-1

More Upcoming Horse Races

While the Kentucky Derby is perhaps the most well-known horse race, it’s far from the only. Check out the other spikes of the crown (the Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes) in addition to other races:

Race Date Date
Kentucky Derby Saturday, May 4 Churchill Downs
Preakness Stakes Saturday, May 18 Pimlico
Belmont Stakes Saturday, June 8 Belmont Park
Diana Stakes Saturday, July 15 Saratoga
Breeders Cup Saturday, November 4 Del Mar

How to Sign up With an Online Racebook

For those looking to sign up and create a new account at a racebook, here are the basic steps for getting up and running with a horse race betting account:

  1. Choose a horse race betting site or app.
  2. Click the “register” or “join now” button to start the registration process
  3. Fill out the registration form with personal information like your date of birth, email address, phone number, full name, and/or social security number. You will also be asked to choose a username and password.
  4. If you’re trying to redeem a sign-up offer, make sure you follow the instructions. Some racebooks require users to opt-in to redeem offers, such as deposit matches. Others may ask you to enter a promo code.
  5. Click on the submit button in order to proceed in the registration process.
  6. Verify your account, usually done via e-mail.

How to Choose a Horse Racing Betting Site

Need help picking the right online horse racing betting site? Perhaps you want insight into how we compiled our list.

In either case, here’s the criteria to consider when choosing a horse racing sportsbook:

Sign-Up Offers and Bonuses

Finding a good sign-up bonus is always a perk when it comes to picking an online racebook or app, but each will suit different kinds of horse bettors.

If you’re just looking to a make a once-a-year bet on the Kentucky Derby, a bonus bet may be the right fit.

More seasoned bettors may enjoy cashback-style promos where new customers get a certain percentage of their stake back in cash over a specified initial period.

Live Streaming

We personally think live streaming is very important so you can watch your race live. The best online horse racing betting sites all will have live streams as standard so you can see the action on the move.

Some operators and racebooks will offer streaming beyond just the race, giving bettors access to pre-race interviews and expert analysis. Usually this would be accessible through a TV network, but some sports betting sites will offer these add-ons with no charge.

Existing Bonuses and Loyalty Schemes

After you use the sign up bonus, there are plenty of other promos for all customers to take advantage of. Bonuses are especially popular around the Kentucky Derby, Preakness Stakes, Belmont Stakes, Breeders’ Cup, and other top races in the US.

Exacta insurance bonuses are some of the most frequent bonuses offered by online horse racing betting sites. You can place an exacta bet, but if you lose, you will get a partial refund. Plus, there are other bonus bets that will be offered for the best tracks, such as Churchill Downs and Keeneland.

One of the easiest ways to get a bonus on TVG is by referring a friend. You will get a $25 bonus for every friend you get to sign up for TVG, and you can earn up to $1,000.

If your state has multiple sites available, you can sign up for each one. It’s great to be able to look for the best horse racing bonuses and promos for the most popular events. There are also loyalty programs that will reward you with bonuses. These rewards schemes can make it worth sticking with one racebook so you can earn as much as possible.

Past Performance Data

One of the most important factors when placing your online horse racing bets is using form and previous results to help craft your wagers. The best horse racing betting sites will have form guides and past performance data available, but the depth of information varies for each site.

TVG account holders can get access to a whole range of past performance programs, depending on how much you wish to stake. A basic package is available, right up to their full and watch and wager PPs.

TwinSpires also give their customer Past Performances, which include insider picks. Of course, you must be an active customer and have placed a wager to claim this package, but they can really make your horse racing wagers go a long way.

Horse Racing Events

Each horse racing betting site will provide different varieties of betting markets for the big races, and even the smaller ones. For instance, if you’re only interested in betting on the the Run for the Black-Eyed Susans, you’ll want to research the best Preakness Stakes betting sites.

The major races, such as the Kentucky Derby, should be available at all racebooks. But if you’re interested in wagering on less popular events, check their availability before you commit to to the racebook.

Markets Offered

There are a plethora of ways to place bets on horse racing, but not all horse racing books will offer these markets. Most will offer the Win, Place and Show markets, but there are so many more markets out there.

Check out our guide on how to bet on horse racing to see which types of bets are available for horse racing.

Handicapping Tools

Everyone needs a little help sometimes, and there’s plenty of handicapping information available out there. Each of the horse racing betting sites in this piece offers various handicapping information, with picks, results and form for upcoming races.

The better and more vast the information is, the better your wagering experience will be. TVG offer a subscription service for the best handicappers out there, with selections for the biggest upcoming horse races.

TVG and Twinspires also offer complimentary handicapper picks, which are a great way to get started in horse racing betting. If you want more detailed analysis, you can upgrade to the top handicappers on TVG or Twinspires.

Accessible Stats

Speed ratings are relative performance indicators that allows us to compare performances across tracks where not all factors are even. Some tracks might be naturally faster like Gulfstream or Santa Anita, where the surfaces are harder, compared to a track like Belmont or Aqueduct, where the surfaces are generally a bit deeper.

They also account for the condition of the track as most horses will travel slower over softer ground. This means that simply comparing times is ineffective as they need some kind of leveling factor.

That’s what is built into speed ratings and they give a nice, if imperfect, indicator of relative performance and ability. Another stat you’ll want to see on horse racing betting sites? Class rating. This relative strength index for the field of a specific race gives you an idea of the level of the competition the horse was facing, as it can vary wildly from track to track even with the same win conditions.

Horse Racing Betting FAQ

Learn more about horse racing betting via these helpful FAQs:

What’s the best online horse betting site?

Our top picks for online horse betting sites include FanDuel Racing, DRF, and TVG. The right racebook for you will depend on your preferences ranging from welcome offers and existing promos to available betting markets. Consider signing up for multiple racebooks to leverage their signup bonuses and determine which you like best.

What’s the best betting system for horse racing?

When betting on horse racing online, consider using the 80-20 system. It involves splitting your stake with 80% on one horse and 20% on the other. You should bet 80% on a horse with lower odds and 20% on the horse with higher odds so you yield roughly the same return if either wins.

What’s the most common horse racing bet?

One of the most common horse racing bets is a win bet as it simply predicts the 1st place horse of a race. It’s a common bet among newbies and veterans alike as its straightforward but can promise big payouts if successful.

What’s the smartest way to bet on horse racing?

If a race has a heavy favorite, it can be a good idea to place a win bet. If you think you can predict where a horse will end up if it’s not going to be in first, a place bet is the way to go.

How does horse racing differ from sports betting?

The wagering pools in horse racing are pari-mutuel, which differs from sports betting in the sense that bettors aren’t trying to beat the house but instead are trying to beat the public at large. The key to long-term success in betting the ponies is being disciplined in identifying value in the pools. This key difference also has legal implications, affecting in what states you can bet on horse racing versus sports betting.

How often do favorites win in horse racing?

As a rule of thumb, the favorite in horse racing wins about 35% of the time. The odds depend on the type of race and how many horses are in the field. Knowing that, bettors may think it’s wise to just blindy bet the favorites — otherwise known as the chalk — but a closer look at the implied odds and you’d see that you’d need average odds of 2-1 or better to break even on “win” bets on the chalk. To have success over the long-term, bettors must play the horses they deem to have a better chance to win compared to their implied odds.

Where can I bet on horse racing?

While betting at the racetrack has been a common pastime, online There are plenty of places and ways where you can bet on horse racing. The most recognizable avenue to a bet is at the track, but that is not going to be the case for a while. Instead, mobile betting will be the only way to play the ponies. These states allow legal mobile betting for horse racing:

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Florida
  • Idaho
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Iowa
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Maine
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • New Hampshire
  • New Jersey
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • North Dakota
  • Ohio
  • Oklahoma
  • Oregon
  • Pennsylvania
  • Rhode Island
  • South Dakota
  • Tennessee
  • Vermont
  • Virginia
  • Washington
  • West Virginia
  • Wisconsin
  • Wyoming
Continue Reading