Legal online gambling sites have expanded considerably in recent years, with online casinos and online sportsbooks launching in many states. With so many options now available, we’ve compiled this overview of the best gambling sites to guide your wagering.
Online gambling sites come in many shapes and sizes, offering a range of betting opportunities as well as a variety of bonuses and promotions. After extensive testing by our staff of experts, we can recommend the following gambling sites as your best and safest options for real money online gambling.
Best Online Gambling Sites
Let’s delve a little deeper into our choices of top online gambling sites in the US. For most of these gambling sites, sports betting is their broadest business, followed by online casinos in the few states that allow them. There are other forms of legal online gambling at some of these sites, too, including daily fantasy sports, horse betting, and online poker.
Best Overall Online Casino Site: BetMGM
Representing the global gambling giant MGM International, BetMGM offers a variety of ways to gamble online. The BetMGM Casino is a top choice in states where it is available thanks to its wide range of games and huge jackpots. Meanwhile, the BetMGM Sportsbook touts itself as the “King of Sportsbooks,” and for many bettors, it is a top choice for online sports wagering. The BetMGM Poker site is also available in three states. With each of its products, BetMGM presents a top-notch platform, quality game selection, and great support and security for players.
- Why BetMGM is the best for online casino games: We rank BetMGM atop our list of the best online casinos thanks in part to its hundreds of online real money slots, including many progressive jackpot slots and a number of exclusive titles. The table games and live dealer games rival other sites’ offerings, and the frequent bonuses and promotions help players stretch their online casino bankroll.
- BetMGM desktop versus mobile experience: The BetMGM mobile app offers the ability to enjoy different BetMGM products on the go. For sports betting, users will find all the same sports and bet types available, and in states where online casinos are allowed, they can easily toggle back and forth between the sportsbook and casino. There’s a separate app for BetMGM Poker (again, in available states) that is optimized for tablets and phones and offers the same selection of Hold’em and Omaha games, including both cash games and tournaments.
- BetMGM welcome bonuses and promotions: All of the BetMGM sites have attractive welcome offers for new sign-ups. They are as follows:
- BetMGM Casino: $25 Freeplay Casino Bonus (usable on all games except jackpot slots) and a 100% deposit match bonus worth up to $1,000. The $25 bonus is a no deposit casino bonus, but to withdraw any winnings, you’ll have to make a deposit first. The 100% deposit match bonus comes with a 15x wagering requirement. Note that in WV, the Freeplay Casino Bonus is $50, the 100% deposit match bonus is good up to $2,500, and you also receive 50 bonus spins once you make an initial deposit.
- BetMGM Sportsbook: Up to $1,500 paid back in bonus bets if your first wager on the site loses. Bonus bets must be wagered, and if they win, you receive only the winnings and not the wager amount.
- BetMGM Poker: 100% deposit match bonus up to $1,000 + up to $75 in tournament tickets (NJ, PA) or up to $100 in tournament tickets (MI). The deposit bonus is awarded in 10% increments and requires the player to play and accumulate BetMGM Rewards Points in order to receive bonus funds. The free tournament tickets are awarded when you make a first deposit, and the size of your deposit determines how many tickets you receive.
States where BetMGM is legal
- BetMGM Casino: MI, NJ, PA, WV
- BetMGM Sportsbook: AZ, CO, DC (on-site only), IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, MS (on-site only), NJ, NV, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY
- BetMGM Poker: MI, NJ, PA
Best Site for Bonuses and Promos: BetRivers
BetRivers is the online brand for Rush Street Interactive. The BetRivers Sportsbook covers a wide range of markets with a nice selection of props and futures. The site has a robust live betting platform, with the ability to live stream games right on the site. Meanwhile, the BetRivers Casino compares well to other sites with its large slot library, and its King Cash Community Chat feature adds a fun social component plus many ways to earn prizes.
- Why BetRivers is the best for bonuses and promos: On the sportsbook side, BetRivers stands out from the crowd with its frequent profit boosts, parlay insurance promos, bet & get bonuses, and other offers. BetRivers Casino has great promos, too, including RushRace daily slot tournaments, happy hours, and its unique King Cash Community Chat that awards more prizes. Even better, the casino typically only has a 1x wagering requirement on its bonuses, unlike other sites where the requirement is more difficult to satisfy. Finally, both sportsbook and casino players can earn more benefits through the iRush Rewards loyalty program.
- BetRivers desktop versus mobile experience: The BetRivers mobile app allows full access to all of the same betting options and features of the web-based version of the BetRivers Sportsbook, including live streaming of select contests. In states where the BetRivers Casino operates, you can toggle from the sportsbook to the casino and enjoy a high percentage of the site’s slots, table games, and live dealer games.
- BetRivers welcome bonuses and promotions: Both the BetRivers Casino and BetRivers Sportsbook have welcome offers for those registering new accounts. Here are those offers.
- BetRivers Casino: Receive 100% of net losses during the first 24 hours of play and receive back $500 in bonus money (MI, NJ, WV) or $250 in bonus money (PA). The bonus money must be wagered, but there is only a 1x wagering requirement, meaning any winnings earned while using the bonus money are yours to keep.
- BetRivers Sportsbook: The 2nd Chance Bet welcome offer allows new sign-ups to lose an initial qualifying wager and be refunded 100% of their loss as a bonus bet with a maximum refund worth $100, $250, or $500, depending on your state. Bonus bets must be used for wagers with odds of -200 or longer, and with bonus bets, only the winnings are awarded (not the bet amounts).
States where BetRivers is legal
- BetRivers Casino: MI, NJ, PA, WV
- BetRivers Sportsbook: AZ, CO, IA, IL, IN, LA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, VA, WV
Best Daily Fantasy Sports Site: DraftKings
DraftKings is the well-known Boston-based brand originally responsible for one of the most popular daily fantasy sports sites in the country and remains a top choice for DFS players. On top of that, DraftKings Casino offers lots of slots, table games, live dealer games, and other fare, including many exclusive titles and a local network of DraftKings Progressive Jackpot games that regularly produces seven-figure top prizes. Then, DraftKings Sportsbook covers all the major sports and many others, too, with great live betting and the Dynasty Rewards program, while the new DK Horse site has emerged as a popular option for horse race bettors.
- Why DraftKings is the best for daily fantasy sports: Both DraftKings Casino and DraftKings Sportsbook are top choices, but the DraftKings daily fantasy sports site continues to stand out from the crowd. You can play a huge variety of DFS contests in many markets, including all the most popular pro and college sports, plus esports and other niche sports. You can play guaranteed prize pools, cash games, showdowns, tiers, and other contests for a wide range of stakes, plus lots of free-to-enter pools with cash prizes.
- DraftKings desktop versus mobile experience: The DraftKings mobile app allows users to access either the sportsbook or casino (in states where both are available). It loads quickly and functions smoothly, offering most of the same wagering opportunities as the main site. The DFS mobile app is also a favorite among fantasy players, making it simple to set line-ups and enter contests. The DK Horse app is also a great option, enabling wagering on races at hundreds of different tracks.
- DraftKings welcome bonuses and promotions: DraftKings has welcome offers for each of its products. New sign-ups can take advantage of the following:
- DraftKings Casino: $35 in casino credits and a 100% deposit match bonus worth either up to $2,000 in Casino Bonus Funds (with a 15x wagering requirement) or up to $100 (with a 1x wagering requirement). The casino credits can be used right away, and whatever you win is yours to keep. With the deposit match bonuses, those taking the larger maximum option will have 30 days to satisfy the 15x wagering requirement. Those taking the smaller bonus will have seven days to complete the 1x requirement. (Note: In CT, users can choose between getting $50 in casino credits for wagering $5, a 100% deposit match up to $100, or a “lossback” offer worth up to $1,000.)
- DraftKings Sportsbook: 20% deposit match bonus worth up to $1,000, a $50 bonus bet for depositing at least $5, and $200 in bonus bets for making a first wager of at least $5. The deposit match bonus comes with a 25x wagering requirement. Meanwhile, when using the bonus bets, winning wagers only award the winnings and not the wager amount.
- DraftKings Daily Fantasy Sports: 20% deposit match bonus worth up to $500 in DK Dollars (site credit). There is a 25x wagering requirement, although users can satisfy it by wagering on the DFS site, the online sportsbook, or the online casino (where available).
- DK Horse: 100% deposit match bonus worth up to $250. There is a 2x wagering requirement that must be satisfied to receive the bonus, and it can be completed in increments (e.g., for every $50 in total wagers, get $25 in bonus cash).
States where DraftKings is legal
- DraftKings Casino: CT, MI, NJ, PA, WV
- DraftKings Sportsbook: AZ, CO, CT, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY
- DraftKings Daily Fantasy Sports: All states except ID, HI, MT, NV, OR, WA
- DK Horse: CO, FL, IA, IN, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, MT, NY, OH, OR, PA, VA, WA, WV, WY
Best Sports Betting Site: FanDuel
FanDuel emerged even before DraftKings as a favorite daily fantasy sports site many years ago, and like its competitor, FanDuel has branched out to offer sports betting, casino games, and horse betting. FanDuel Casino is less stocked with games compared to other sites, but it does have a nicely curated selection of top slots and other favorites. Meanwhile, FanDuel Sportsbook especially stands out as a favorite choice among online sports bettors.
- Why FanDuel is the best for sports betting: FanDuel is currently the most popular online sportsbook in the US by a decent margin. There are a lot of reasons why this is the case, starting with the site’s inviting design, strong customer support, and many easy-to-use banking methods. FanDuel covers all the major sports with tons of alternate lines, props, live betting options, and other ways to wager. Same game parlays have become especially popular at FanDuel, and other ongoing promos help keep bettors happy.
- FanDuel desktop versus mobile experience: The FanDuel mobile app has received high marks from users for its design and ease of use. With the sportsbook app, you can call up other FanDuel products from within the app, making it simple to move back and forth between them. While you’ll find essentially all the same features and wagering opportunities on the app for the sportsbook, casino, and racing, be aware that on the app, the FanDuel Casino has considerably fewer games than the desktop version does.
- FanDuel welcome bonuses and promotions: Like the other sites, FanDuel has some enticing offers for new sign-ups at all of its sites. Currently, they are as follows:
- FanDuel Casino: Deposit $50 and get 50 bonus spins and a $1,000 Play It Again bonus. The bonus spins can be played on a small number of slots and have just a 1x playthrough requirement, meaning after using the spins, you can claim any winnings (MI, NJ, PA only). For the $1,000 Play It Again bonus, any net losses during the first 24 hours are refunded as a Casino Bonus up to $1,000 that similarly comes with a 1x playthrough requirement (MI, NJ, PA, WV only).
- FanDuel Sportsbook: Bet $5 and get $150 in bonus bets. For the promo, deposit at least $10 and make an initial $5 moneyline wager. If it wins, you’ll get the $150 in bonus bets.
- FanDuel Daily Fantasy Sports: 100% deposit match bonus worth up to $100 in site credit. This Minimum $5 deposit online casino.
- FanDuel Racing: $100 No Sweat Bet. If your first wager loses, receive the bet amount back as a refund worth up to $100 in bet credits.
States where FanDuel is legal
- FanDuel Casino: CT, MI, NJ, PA, WV
- FanDuel Sportsbook: AZ, CO, CT, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY
- FanDuel Daily Fantasy Sports: All states except CT, HI, ID, MT, NV, WA
- FanDuel Racing: AR, CA, CO, DE, FL, IL, IN, KY, MA, MI, ND, NH, NY, NM, OH, OR, RI, SD, VA, VT, WV, WY; you can also wager on horse racing via the FanDuel Sportsbook in CO, IL, IN, MD, MI, NY, OH, VA, WV, WY
Best Site for Loyalty Rewards Program: Caesars
Caesars is one of the most recognizable casino brands in the US with dozens of popular retail locations located across the country. Caesars is also a significant presence in online gambling with the popular Caesars Sportsbook operating in many states and Caesars Palace online casino also up and running in states that allow online gambling. Whether betting on sports or playing casino games with Caesars, users get to participate in the renowned Caesars Rewards loyalty program that enables them to earn benefits every time they bet.
- Why Caesars is the best for its loyalty rewards program: Caesars Rewards is the casino industry’s most popular loyalty program. The tier-based program awards both Rewards Points and Tier Points every time someone wagers at a Caesars site. Rewards Points can be redeemed for various bonuses and free play, while the Tier Points enable users to ascend through the various tiers that award other benefits and perks. It is the casino industry’s most popular loyalty program, and a nice added advantage for those who choose play on Caesars sites.
- Caesars desktop versus mobile experience: Both the Caesars Sportsbook and Caesars Palace online casino can be played on a smartphone or tablet via separate mobile apps. The sportsbook features all of the same betting options and features, and the games are all fully optimized for smaller screens on the online casino app. At the sportsbook, you can make all of the usual pregame wagers plus a wide variety of props, alternate lines, futures, live betting options and more. Meanwhile, Caesars Palace Casino app features a great variety of slots and table games as well as real money blackjack, roulette, and baccarat.
- Caesars welcome bonuses and promotions: Caesars has some nice welcome offers for new sign-ups at both the Caesars Sportsbook and the Caesars Palace Casino:
- Caesars Sportsbook: If your first cash bet on the site loses, you can receive the bet amount back as a Bonus Bet worth up to $1,000.
- Caesars Palace Online Casino: 100% deposit match worth up to $2,500 plus 2,500 Rewards Credits when you wager at least $25. In order to receive the deposit match bonus, there is a wagering requirement to satisfy: 15x on slots, 30x on video poker, and 75x on all other games excluding craps which do not count toward the requirement. Users have seven days to complete the wagering requirement and release the bonus.
States where Caesars is legal
- Caesars Sportsbook: AZ, CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, ME, MA, MI, NJ, OH, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV
- Caesars Palace Online Casino: MI online casinos, NJ, PA, WV
Determining the Best Online Gambling Sites
Our team of experts considered a number of relevant criteria when ranking our top online gambling sites. Here are some of the primary factors we took into account when deciding upon our recommendations, along with the questions we asked in each case:
- Betting options and game selection — What games and/or bets are available? How large is the game library and/or menu of available wagers? What is the quality of available games and/or bets?
- Site design and functionality — How easy is the site to use? How user-friendly is the design? How fast and smoothly do the games load?
- House edge — For online casinos, does the site offer a lot of games with high RTP (return to player) percentages? For online sportsbooks, does the site offer competitive odds?
- Bonuses and promotions — What are the welcome offers? What are the ongoing offers and promotions?
- Loyalty rewards programs — Does the site have a loyalty rewards program or not? And if it does, how good is the program?
- Banking options — What methods for depositing and withdrawing are available? How have users rated the site’s banking options and the quality of their transactions?
- Payout speeds — With withdrawals, how quickly (or slowly) does the site process them? Take a look here for the best payout casinos
- Brand reputation — Does the company operating the site have a long history in the gambling industry? How is the brand perceived? Have players had positive experiences with the operator?
- Customer service — What methods are available for contacting customer support? How responsive and helpful was support during our testing?
Benefits of Using Online Gambling Sites
Online gambling sites provide a number of benefits when compared to their retail counterparts. Some advantages of online gambling sites include:
- Getting paid — When you play the games at online gambling sites and win, the money goes straight into your account, and you can then withdraw it at any time. There is no waiting to cash in chips or a ticket at the cashier’s cage.
- Bonuses — Online gambling sites frequently offer bonuses and other rewards, sometimes just for playing games or making wagers you were going to make anyway. Bonuses are a staple of online gambling sites, whereas they aren’t so frequent when playing live.
- Game variety — Online gambling sites offer a huge range of games, whether it be a large game library at an online casino or a huge selection of available wagers at an online sportsbook. You’ll sometimes find games and bets available online that aren’t ever offered at a retail location.
- Customer service — If you ever have a question or concern when gambling online, most sites have live chat available 24/7 with agents on call and ready to respond right away. Phone and email support is usually available, too, along with detailed FAQ sections covering all the most common issues.
- Comfort — Playing at online gambling sites can be incredibly convenient, letting you play from home and for as little or as long as you like with no waiting. You can play games on the go as well using online gambling apps.
Online Gambling Bonuses and Promotions
Online gambling sites often run promos and award bonuses to players either to attract new sign-ups or to keep the current players active on the sites. Here are a few different examples of such bonuses and promotions.
Sites offer welcome bonuses to those who create new accounts. Often, you need to enter a bonus code when registering your account to ensure you receive the bonus. Sometimes, these are “no deposit” bonuses that give you money or site credit with which you can play games right away without depositing. You might also receive a deposit match bonus (described below), free spins, or some other type of bonus as part of the offer.
Deposit Match Bonuses
A deposit match bonus requires you to make a deposit, and when you do, the site will award you a bonus, the size of which is determined by how much you deposited. If the offer is a “100% deposit match bonus,” the bonus will equal your deposit amount, although usually, the bonus is not in cash but “bonus money” or site credit. Also, you may have to satisfy a wagering requirement in order to convert the bonus into real money.
Reload bonuses are similar to deposit match bonuses insofar as they invite users to reload their accounts by depositing more funds. In return, players receive some form of bonus. The bonus could be in the form of bonus money or site credit. Or it might be something more particular, like free spins in the casino or free bets on certain contests in the sportsbook.
Many online gambling sites sponsor so-called loyalty programs that reward players just for playing. These programs typically give players points every time they wager, and once players accumulate a certain number of points, they can redeem them for bonuses, site credits, cash prizes, or other awards. The program might also feature tiers or levels that give the player a certain status, and as they move up, they become eligible for bigger and better awards.
How To Find the Right Gambling Site
With so many different online gambling sites to choose from, you can afford to be selective when deciding where you are going to play. Take some time reviewing the sites first and inform yourself about what to expect once you sign up and begin wagering. Factors to consider include:
- Gambling preferences — Do you like casino games or sports betting, or both? Whichever you prefer, look to see if the site has the kinds of games and/or wagering opportunities that suit you, including the available stakes and how they match your bankroll.
- User reviews — Read our reviews above and take a look at what users of the sites are saying in their reviews. First-hand acquaintance with a site is the best way to judge it, and gamblers are usually not shy about sharing their opinions regarding the quality of the sites.
- Bonus offers — You can check out and compare gambling sites’ welcome offers and other ongoing promotions prior to signing up. Read the terms and conditions, too, as sometimes they might make a bonus more or less attractive.
- Payment methods — Spend some time reviewing the available ways to deposit funds into your account and withdraw money later. The sites generally provide information about both, including concerning limits (minimums and maximums) and payout speeds.
Getting Started on the Best Gambling Sites
Once you’ve picked an online gambling site, what do you do next? Creating an account is usually quite simple and quick, and it often doesn’t take long to deposit money and start playing.
First, either visit the website on your desktop or laptop or download the app to your Apple or Android device and open it. Then, follow these steps to register an account:
- Find the “Join” or “Sign Up” button and click it.
- Follow the prompts and enter your personal information as directed. This will include providing some or all of the following: your full name, email address, cell phone number, physical address, date of birth, and last four digits of your Social Security number. Make sure all of the information is correct because the site won’t let you create an account if it is not.
- Create a username for yourself if asked to do so. (Sometimes, your email address will serve as your login.) Create a password. The site may also have you set up a security question or two.
- Keep an eye out for a prompt to enter a bonus code, if you have one, and be certain to enter that in order to receive the site’s welcome offer.
- You may be asked to tick a few boxes to say the information you’ve provided is accurate and that you agree to the site’s terms and conditions.
- Click “Complete” or “Create Account” (or the like).
You can usually create an online gambling account from anywhere, but you can only place real money wagers on it when physically located in the state where the site operates. For instance, you can create an account at a New Jersey online casino from another state, but you can only play games on the site when you are in NJ. The sites use geolocation software to make certain no one who is out of the state can play on them.
You’ll also need to deposit money before you can play games or make bets. Find the cashier, look over the available deposit methods, and follow the instructions for funding your account. From there, you can look over the different blackjack games and pick the one you like, or whatever other types of betting you want to do.
Best Gambling Sites FAQ
Are online gambling sites legal?
Yes, in many states, online gambling sites are legal. More than half of US states have legal online sports betting sites, and a handful also have legal online casinos. Daily fantasy sports and horse wagering are also legal online in many different states.
Can I win real money on online gambling sites?
Of course, but remember you also (usually) have to risk real money in order to have a chance to win. Always gamble responsibly and never risk money you cannot afford to lose when gambling online.
How long does it take to withdraw money from online gambling sites?
Withdrawal speed depends on the method being used. Some withdrawal methods can be very quick, such as when withdrawing using PayPal or a prepaid Play+ card. The fastest payouts are usually within an hour or two, or at most within 24 hours. Meanwhile, most methods will take anywhere from 2-5 business days. Look over what the site says about payout times and use that information both to choose your withdrawal method and shape your expectations.
Do the best gambling sites offer bonuses?
Yes, as you can see above, all of the gambling sites we recommend offer both welcome bonuses and ongoing promotions. With so many gambling sites available, they generally have to offer bonuses, or their customers will go elsewhere to gamble.
Is playing on the best gambling sites safe?
We recommend you only gamble on legal and licensed online gambling sites. Look for the appropriate regulator’s seal on the online casino, sportsbook, daily fantasy sports site, or horse betting site to make sure it is properly licensed in your state. If you stick to legal and licensed gambling sites, you can rest assured they are safe and fair to play on, and that your personal information and funds are secure as well.
If you make a purchase after clicking on links within this article, Lee Enterprises may earn affiliate commissions. The news and editorial departments had no role in the creation or display of this content.
Catena Media provides exclusive gambling and casino content to The Buffalo News, including reviews of legal online casinos and information about casino games, odds and probabilities, and site offers and promotions to help inform and educate players. If you register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. Always practice responsible gambling.